Friday, July 18, 2008

Eddie Money Knew What He Was Talking About

Why do all the milestones that our children accomplish also have to serve as a constant reminder that we are getting older? I know it's impossible to make time stand still, and really - who would want to freeze this economy in the state it is in? But I miss so many of the cute things my kids used to do when they were small, so much that sometimes I wish I could go back and do it all over. But as Eddie Money reminded us - I can't go back I know.

So, I must resign myself to the fact that my son is now driving, my daughter doesn't want to hang around me so much anymore and I'm spending twice as much on hair color as I used to. Long gone are the days of "mommy, daddy - look what I can do." They have been replaced with "Do you have to look at me? Quit staring!" and those lovely, extremely exaggerated sighs and groans. When did I become my mother? I guess a bigger question I should ask myself, is when did my children become me and how did I never see it coming?

People always say - "Enjoy your kids now, it goes by so fast." I remember thinking to myself that I couldn't wait until my kids could walk, could talk, etc. How could I know that no sooner does someone speak the words "time with your kids goes by fast" and before you can grasp the meaning of what they have said it's gone.

I think I'm growing sentimental about turning 40 (still have 7 months....it's really going to fly). I hope the next 40 years are as great as the previous. I hope they don't go by as fast and I pray every day that my kids will cherish every moment I spent with them. I know I do.

No comments: